Um diesen Text auf deutsch zu lesen, klicke bitte auf das DE oben auf der Seite.
Finally! I cut alle the shirts that I got from my collegues. For months they had lain unter the sewing table. But who has time to cut shirts when there is a Nearly Insane to sew?
Nearly Insane is done - I've time to do other things.
To learn the story of the Ukraine-quilts click here.
For Bonnie Hunter it takes 7 minutes to 'debone' a shirt. I need 10 minutes - that's not bad, but after that it takes time to iron all the pieces and fold them neatly to fit in a box. So it took me the evenings of almost one week to prepare all the gifted shirts.
I started with the pattern 'Swing your partner' from Bonnies book 'Scraps and Shirttails' , it's a 5x5 block.
Actually it's no fun to work with old shirts. At least with these worn out ones! There is a lot of work involved.
First you have to cut the shirts and iron them, as mentionend above.
Then you have to cut the stripes for each block. But the shirt-parts are never cut in rectangles. They are sort of curved, sometimes more (sleeves) sometimes less (front and back). It takes a lot of calculating and cutting to get a lot of usable fabric and only a few waste-fabric.
And it was not easy to sew with these old shirts either. They are veeeery stretchy, during sewing and ironing you can achieve whatever shape you want to :-(
So you have to pay a lot of attention during sewing and ironing or use tons of starch.
I will use up all the fabric I have for charity quilts, but I don't think I will ask for more old shirts!
It's different to make a quilt for friends - I'd do it any time...
I had a huge piece of fabric that I wanted to use for the backing, I had to cut it only on one side. I tried another technique for the binding: fold the backing to the front and stitch it down.
Oh dear - this didn't turn out well. I won't do it again!
I did not take a detail-photo of that binding, it's too embarrassing...