Ukraine 5

Um diesen Text auf deutsch zu lesen, klicke bitte auf das DE oben auf der Seite.

I love Jenny Doans tutorials at Missouri Star Quilt Company.  This time I wanted to make the Disappearing Pinwheel.

To learn the story of the Ukraine-quilts click here.

I don't want to copy Jennys tutorial, this is just a documentation for myself.

I started with 2 squares 10x10 inches. I trimmed the finished pinwheel down to 12x12 inches.

I cut this block in 9 patches, each 4x4 inches. I turned 8 of the 9 blocks and sewed them together again.

The block had 11x11 inches cut size and 10,5x10,5 inches finished size.

Until now all my big quilts had at least one big wrinkle.

So this time I tried something new I found in the Internet (where else?).

First I basted the backing with masking tape on the floor.

Then I put the batting on top and started to spraybaste the quilt in sections. After that I put the top on top of the batting, smothed it out and spraybasted (again I sprayed on the batting).

This way I managed not to get any 505 on my floor!

The result looked wrinkle-free to me. But maybe it went so well because the backing was a very thick fabric (remember - this is a Ukraine-quilt, so I get the batting and the backing to use it).

The backing was so thick and stiff - the basting was easy. But the quilting...

Stitching-in-the-ditch was easy, I used Nylon-thread.

But during that time I had taken freemotion classes at Regina Grewe. And I longed to try them on a real quilt!

For the blocks I used a simple oval pattern. I didn't dare to do something fancy on this thick quilt.

But I wanted to try the feathers on the border!

That stiff quilt is difficult to handle. I'm looking forward to try one of the usual softer fabrics. And even though I cut the border wider than usual I still missed some fabric to hold unto on the right. That's why 4 of the 8 feathers look sort of unxeperienced.

And for the remaining 4 feathers I had to quilt the other way round. We hadn't done that in the class and I forgot to draw samples on paper first. I hopped right into quilting and the result looks like that. Hm. I learned something!

Usually I stitch the binding on the front of the quilt and sew it by hand on the back. But the fabric on the back is too thick for handsewing. So again I tried something new. I put the binding on the back of the quilt first instead on the front. Then I turned the quilt und sewed the binding on the top with the machine.

I will do the same next time. But I will sew the binding on the front first and then use a very dull bobbin thread for the backside-stitching OR sew the binding on the back first but use a Nylon thread for the topside-stitching. If you take a close look on the last three photos, you can see that the thread is a big contrast to the binding, I don't like that.


If you want to get an email when I publish a new quilt, please click here.

Comments (0)

No comments found!

Write new comment