Um diesen Text auf deutsch zu lesen, klicke bitte auf das DE oben auf der Seite.
Funny title, don't you think?
My mother wanted a tablerunner. We went to a quiltshop and she chose three fabrics, 2 batics and a green.
But when I was back home she called and told me she'd rather have the fabric I used for hercushions. You can see the result here.
Hm. What to do with the three fabrics? I could use the green one for the leaves, at least some of it. I have no idea what to do with one of the batics - it's not my favourite colour. My mother is all into browns and warm oranges and beige - I can't stand those.
But the third one! I just love it!! It's a totally crazy batic, you can't even tell which colour is the main colour. But the overall impression is beautiful!
It's so beautiful that I instantly started to plan a quilt for me. The only problem: I have only 50 cm. It was the last scrap the shop had in stock. And I don't want to cut this piece into many very small pieces. I want to keep the fabric as big as possible.
Phew. What can I do?
First I went into MY quiltshop and bought two more fabrics, a pale blue and a light creme batic. I have a lot of dark reds in my stash..
I searched for patterns and chose Birds-in-the-Air. There is always a huge HST of one fabric!
I used EQ7 for the layout and pushed the blocks around until I had a layout that used as much as possible of the main batic. (After cutting and sewing all that was left was two strips 1,0 x 5,0 - not bad!)
That's how the quilt looked after quilting. I couldn't quilt swirls or something like that, the quilt is way too geometric. And a thread with colour was also a no-go - nothing should distract the eye of the batic. Ok, straightline-quilting with monofilament.
I took two photos of the top - you can see the quilt-lines on the the second photo with the flash. Click on the photos to enlarge them and admire the batic :-)
The next step was the binding. I would've loved to use the dark batic - but it was all sewed up. Ok, let's use the light batic. (light blue looked boring and the red was almost finished).
But the creme batic looked a little bit boring too. Hm. I remembered something I had seen somewhere - I don't know where and I had no idea how to make it.
There are tutorials in the internet how to make a flange - but I didn't want to do that. I would lose the points of the triangles in the border that way.
I created something different. I did severeal test-runs until I had the measurements.
Here follows the Tutorial for Ninas flange!! (I have to pin it to pinterest, I'm sure it will go viral!)
I cut the binding-strip to the usual width (in this case - very thin polyester-batting - 1,75 inch).
Then I cut a strip in a contrasting colour in 0,75 inch (seamallowance x 2 plus 0,25 inch).
I folded this red strip wrong side to wrong side and basted it to the quilt (like I do with a 'normal' binding).
On the first photo you can see the binding on the top, on the second the binding turned over and pinned.
You can see already how beautiful the Nina-flange will turn out!
Only - the mitered corner is not quite mitered. The red fabric does not behave as I expected.
The finished binding: the Nina-flange is great - the corner is not. And as you see, I lost the points of the triangles in the border anyway.
What would I change the next time?
- don't sew a border with triangles that end in the Nina-flange-binding. Or add another narrow triangle-less border.
- iron the red stripe in half like I do with the normal binding (I folded the red one, but did not press)
- corners: cut the thread and sew first the red strip alone with the machine around the corner
- second step: sew the normal binding with the machine around the corner
I'm not yet sure if I should sew the red strip by hand on the back of the quilt before I sew the regular binding with machine on the top.
When I did a testrun, I'll post an update.
We took two photos, one in the sun and one in the shadow. There is a lot more texture in one of them, click on the photo to enlarge it!