Jacob's Joy

Um diesen Text auf deutsch zu lesen, klicke bitte auf das DE oben auf der Seite.

I decided to make a second quilt with a cotton-batting for the summer.

I had collected lots of batik-FQs in beautiful colours over the last months. I wanted to mix them with a silvergray batik, but I couldn't find one. So I chose a gray fabric with silver printed on it. We'll see how it holds the silver after washing.

I always wanted to sew the Jacob's Ladder-pattern. I made almost each of the 40 blocks in another color mixed with silvergray. That added up to 200 4-patches and 160 halfsquare-triangles – quite a pile!

I tried several arrangements for the 40 blocks, there were so many colours! This is the final result, after spray-basting:

Everything went fine until that point.
After the desaster with FMQ at Ukraine 7 I really wanted to FMQ this quilt with my new Pfaff machine! It was only a thin cotton-batting - so I thought.

But I hadn't thought about the batic fabric and the new yarn.

Until now I always had used Mettler machine-quilting-yarn (cotton), sometimes Nylon for the upper thread.
Since my quilt lessons at Regina Grewe the FMQ always was beautiful.

Now I wanted to try new yarn,  Superior thread. SoFine as upper thread, Bottom Line for the bobbing.
Bottom Line has the extra advantage that it's very thin, so the bobbin holds a huge length. And the bobbins that came with the new drop-in-Pfaff are bigger than the old bobbins anyway.

Superior thread recommends these threads in this combination especially for quilting.


I tried FMQ on a little sandwich, everything went smooth and the swirls were beautiful.

I changed to the quilt and the upper thread broke. I fixed it, sewed the next swirl - it broke again.

And again. And again. And again. I checked everything several times, nothing worked. The only thing different from the sandwich was the fabric. My sandwiches are made of KONA cotton. This quilt is made 50% of that silver print, 50 % of batics.

Could that be the reason? I can't think of anything else. I searched in the internet, everybody says that it's difficult to use batics for handquilting or FMQ. Handquilting I know already, my ice-quilt is made of several batics and I still handquilt it (but at least 3/4 is done now).
It seems that FMQ is too difficult for newbies like me - only professionals like Debbie Clarke can do it! Here quilted feathers on batic fabrics are so beautiful!!

I still don't know if the batic or the yarn was the problem. We'll know after next FMQ-quilt!

I was brave and finished the quilt with FMQ. It took me two evenings to bury all the extra thread-tails. And whenever I touch the quilt I still find some tails. I don't know how often that thread broke!

At least the thread is so thin, you can barely see the places where it broke.

I quilted leaves on the border, I love them so much.

By the way: I took all these pictures after washing the quilt twice (first time cold water only, second time cold water and Orvus). The silver fabric is still silver.


If you want to get an email when I publish a new quilt, please click here.

Comments (0)

No comments found!

Write new comment