Um diesen Text auf deutsch zu lesen, klicke bitte auf das DE oben auf der Seite.
20.11.15: 5 blocks, 166 pieces
30.12.15: 16 blocks, 510 pieces
10.01.16: 30 blocks, 1.118 pieces
This photo with 30 blocks was not meant to be a progress-photo. At that point I wanted to check on the colours. Until block 25 I made all the blocks with light, prominent colours with a lot of contrast to the dark background-fabric. Each block was beautiful. But when I looked at them together on the dark fabric, the impression was to intense. I made the next 5 blocks in mute colours - and the result is much better! I will make a fifth of the blocks in mute colours = 17 blocks.
85 blocks are finished (the last one was still on the ironing board), now I had to arrange them.
I don't aim for arranging them as in Salina Rupps quilt. There are several blocks with similar patterns and of course a lot of blocks are made by the same fabric. I don't want either of them laying too close to each other.
This is the result (on the photo the blocks lay next to each other, my floor is not big enough):
Oh dear, it was a lot of work. It was easy and fast work to sew the short strips (6,5x2,5 inch) to the blocks. I starched every single sashing before I sew it.
But these long long strips! The two longest strips measured 90 inches. I starched them too, of course. But still, a lot of work.
I marked the long strips (even the short ones with 24 inches) to make sure I did not stretch them during the actual sewing, I used the Sewline Chalk marker. And I pinned the strips to the blocks (pinning always means using the red Clover-Wonder-clips; I can't quilt without them). And then I pressed the strips/blocks. And pinned. And sewed. And pressed. And added the side-triangles. There was no end....
But finally it was done!!!
The top finished at 80x80 inches. I added the border (again pinning endless strips). I decided not to add a pieced border, otherwise the quilt would've become way too big.
And now the top is really finished, I can hardly believe it. I started making the first blocks in November 15 and finished the top March 17th 2016.
For the record:
4.312 pieces for 85 blocks
72 short sashing-strips
12 long sashing-strips
= 4.428 pieces for the top
By the way - I used 8 meters of the green fabric, only for the top. Incredible! There's about a half meter left.
I had ordered more fabric in February (I was lucky, they still had it). This became the middle-strip of the backing.
This time I sewed the label before I finished the binding. And I included the label in the middle-strip of the backing, so it can't tear off later. For the label I made again block 40, this time with various fabric-scraps.
Number of pieces for the backing:
21 pieces for block 40
4 green pieces
2 blue pieces
= 27 pieces for the backing
= 4.455 pieces total until now
I don't dare to quilt this quilt by myself.
It has too many seams and bulks for handquilting.
In-the-ditch-quilting would destroy the 'swimming'-effect I'm aiming for.
There are too many seams and bulks for freemotion for my skill.
So this will be the first quilt I'm giving to a professional longarm-quilter. I'm very excited!!
I choose a purple thread for the top and a blue one for the bottom. We discussed the pattern and went for simple swirls.
I can pick up the quilt at the end of May.
And so beautiful -
Helga Polifka in Sarnau did a great job.
The quilt turned out exactly as I imagined it. No extra quilting on the sashings, no extra quilting on the blocks. Just a plain overall swirl-pattern on the whole quilt and the border.
The blocks are really swimming on the green background.
I still have to decide the colour of the binding - green or scraps of purple/pinc or blue (the backing-fabric).
And when everything is done we'll have a photo-session outside on a sunny day!!
Omigod, that quilt is so beautiful!
The binding -
for this insane quilt I decided to cut the binding on the bias for the first time in my life.
Shelley Rodgers wrote a perfect tutorial for it, with a table for yardage for each length and width. You can find the tutorial here.
I followed the tutorial without looking or thinking - but I admit that I had enough of the blue fabric to cut the binding on the straight of grain in case I failed.
But I did not fail - Shelleys instructions are so easy to understand that I just show my photos here.
If somebody is interested: the quilt measures 88x88 inch and weighs 2,9 kg.
I'm glad I did not make that zigzag border - heaven knows how much it would weigh then!
If you want to get an email when I publish a new quilt, please click here.